Eagles-Warriors postponed


By Cody Leightenheimer

for the Daily Times

The Eastern Eagles met the Dayton Christian Warriors at home for a matchup that last nearly two quarters before being postponed due to thunderstorms in the area. The game will resume Saturday at 7:30 p. m.

Before play was suspend, the game started off with an Eastern (1- 0) drive led by junior quarterback Ethan Leist who put up a 27-yard pass into the hands of his senior receiver Clay Martin, only to turn around and be intercepted five plays later in the end zone by Dayton Christians (1-0) senior cornerback Darrien Anderson.

On their first offensive play of the night, the Warriors senior tailback Evin Butler ran the ball for a 29-yard gain ending on the 49-yard line. Despite that powerhouse push, Warriors sophomore quarterback Shawn VanNoy threw for two quick incompletions and a fumble that he recovered.

Despite these explosive first showings, the game remained scoreless near half-time. With 5:46 on the clock, the game was postponed like many other games in the region for signs of lightning and incoming storms.

The Warriors saw the most success by handing the ball off to Butler and junior Ricarie Howard for a combined six carries and 46 total yards. Quarterback VanNoy failed to hit his targets 6-of-7 attempts through the air in quarters one and two. His one successful attempt landed in the arms of Butler for a 21-yard gain but the drive was shut down, ending in a punt.

Both teams got one attempt at the end zone. Eastern’s Leist was picked off in the goal by Anderson at the start and Dayton Christians VanNoy missed a deep mark to sophomore Tywon Berry, causing a fourth down punt situation.

Cody Leightenheimer is a stringer for the Portsmouth Daily Times. Reach him @leightenheimer.

.neFileBlock {
margin-bottom: 20px;
.neFileBlock p {
margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
.neFileBlock .neFile {
border-bottom: 1px dotted #aaa;
padding-bottom: 5px;
padding-top: 10px;
.neFileBlock .neCaption {
font-size: 85%;


No posts to display