Russell D. Williams American Legion Auxiliary Unit 471 of Gallia Street in Portsmouth did outstanding job at the 97th annual Department of Ohio American Legion Auxiliary Department Convention held in Independence, Ohio on June 24-26, 2016.
Unit members who attended this year’s department convention were Unit President & Department Music Chairman Kathi Jo Zornes, Department Jr. Activities Committee Member Allison Zornes, District 7 Jr. Activities Chairman Betty Taylor, and Unit Member Tammy Adams.
They brought home several certificates and three plaques this year for their hard work.
Among those awards were:
- First Place place Group 3 in Membership – Betty Taylor
- Best Senior Prayer Book -Sue Montgomery
- Best Junior Prayer Book – Sierra Bradley (Jr member)
- Best Junior History Book -Sierra Bradley (Jr member)
- 3rd Place Music Report – Allison Zornes
- 2nd Place Senior History Book -Allison Zornes
- Public Relations -Brand Ambassador
- Public Relations – Best Media Coverage of a Jr Project
- Emma McBane Legislative Plaque -for best Legislative report
- Shelley Riggs Poppy Plaque -for Best Poppy scrapbook
And the first ever 2016 Leadership Award plaque was awarded to the Unit President, Kathi Jo Zornes
Their Unit was one of only six Citation of Merit Units recognized out of 412 total Units in the state of Ohio.
Other certificates were awarded throughout the week-end for other programs and accomplishments at pre-convention meetings.
“I am truly grateful for the great effort our Units ladies all put forth for our veterans, activity and community,” says Unit President Kathi Jo Zornes, “It’s an honor to work beside my fellow veteran-loving ladies to accomplish our goals and see their hard work recognized. Thank you to all my hard working Unit members who make these awards attainable and the journey unforgettable.”
Kathi Jo Zornes, elected District President at their District 7 Summer Convention in Seaman, Ohio on May 22, 2016, was also officially installed on Sunday as the District 7 President for the 2016-2018 term.
Anyone wishing to learn more about joining an active unit who’s focus is actively serving local veterans, active military and our community can contact Unit 471’s talented Membership Chairman Betty Taylor at 740-250-3249.
Reach Ciara Conley at 740-353-3101 ext. 1932, Facebook, “Ciara Conley - Daily Times” and Twitter @PDT_Ciara
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU