Boys Soccer — Division III Sectional Semifinals

South Webster 9, West Union 1

SOUTH WEBSTER — South Webster junior Trae Zimmerman had a hat trick by halftime in the Jeeps’ Division III home sectional semifinal win over West Union on Saturday.

In fact, Zimmerman scored the Jeeps’ first three goals — each by the 16:58 mark of the first half.

Aiden Andrews assisted the first, Brody Boggs the second, and Connor Bender the third as South Webster staked a 3-1 lead in the first 17 minutes.

Bender scored an unassisted goal of his own 23 minutes into the first half, putting the Jeeps ahead 4-1.

Stephen Smith scored just over a minute later at the 24:06 mark, on an assist from Zimmerman, giving South Webster a 5-1 lead at halftime.

Zimmerman scored his fourth goal on an assist by Boggs at the 25:12 mark of the second half — pushing the Jeeps ahead 6-1.

Kaleb Mantle then scored three unassisted goals in the span of six minutes to notch his first hat trick of the season, and give South Webster the 9-1 victory.

“I liked the way we were crossing the ball to the middle from the wings,” Jeeps coach Corey Claxon said. “Brody (Boggs) and Connor (Bender) both fed Trae (Zimmerman) the ball and he was able to finish. We hope that this builds a little momentum going into Wednesday’s game vs. Rock Hill. We will most likely be on the road for the rest of our games, but we are happy to continue on.”

As Claxon noted, the Jeeps (6-6-5) will travel to Rock Hill on Wednesday for a Division III sectional final contest against the host Redmen.

Match time is set for 5 p.m.

New Boston 8, Westfall 0

NEW BOSTON —The New Boston Tigers tallied three first-half goals and five second-half markers to cruise past and shut out the visiting Westfall Mustangs 8-0 on Saturday in a Division III boys soccer sectional semifinal match.

Tanner Voiers posted a hat trick, his first goal coming with only two minutes remaining in the opening half for a 2-0 lead.

Preston Jackson scored the only goal New Boston actually needed —the first of the bout with only five minutes and four seconds gone by.

Jackson assisted on the next two goals —the first of Voiers’ three and a Grady Jackson tally with 45 seconds remaining before halftime.

Grady Jackson then assisted on the next two goals, both by Voiers, with seven and 10 minutes gone by in the second half.

Voiers then assisted on the next New Boston marker — a Luke Bowman make with 27-and-a-half minutes remaining to make it 6-0.

Rhys Bratchett, with 14 minutes left, boosted the lead to 7-0 as Colt Maynard made the assist.

Jayse Tabor, on an unassisted goal, rounded out the scoring with 11 minutes to go.

The Tigers totaled more corner kicks (seven) than the Mustangs did shots (three), as Brady Voiers — with two saves — was the Tigers’ goalkeeper.

New Boston — the 11th-seeded squad — raised its record to 7-8-1 with the win, and will rematch sixth-seeded Minford for the Division III sectional championship on Wednesday.

The Falcons defeated the Tigers in last season’s sectional championship match at Minford, which will once again host this season’s final at 5 p.m.

Valley 18, Wellston 2

LUCASVILLE — Valley spread its stats far and wide in its 18-2 victory over Wellston in a Division III sectional semifinal matchup on Saturday.

The No. 9-seed Indians received goal-scoring contributions from 13 individual players.

Lucie Ashkettle, A.J. Johnson, Chase Ruby, Wesley Holbrook and Ethan Cunningham each scored two goals apiece in the win.

Scoring one goal each in the game for Valley were Austin Sommers, Chris Queen, Colt Buckle, M.J. Basham, Hunter Edwards, Elizabeth Bowen and Braxton Dillow.

Dillow, Johnson, J.R. Holbrook, Davey Petry and Jared Gahm each recorded two assists apiece, while Buckle and Bryce Stuart each had one.

Valley will hit the road for its Division III sectional final game on Wednesday against No. 8-seed Northwest at Roy Rogers Field.

Fairfield 2, Clay 1

ROSEMOUNT —Fortunately for the Clay Panthers, they got a goal on Saturday.

Unfortunately for the same host Panthers, it wasn’t enough in their Division III sectional semifinal match against Fairfield.

The Lions scored just 40 seconds into the game, and again with two minutes and 14 seconds before halftime, to defeat Clay 2-1.

The Panthers, of which they graduate 13 seniors including standout senior striker and goalkeeper Shaden Malone, conclude their season at 4-8-3.

Clay was actually shut out in five of its final seven matches —as it tied Peebles 3-3 before getting the goal against the Lions.

That goal was scored unassisted by fellow senior Dylan Collett, as he tied the match at 1-1 with 18:11 left in the opening half.

However, the Lions pitched a shutout over the final 58 minutes, despite the defensive-oriented Panthers taking 23 shots including 13 on goal.

Clay Cottle had three shots on goal as Collett, Malone and Jack Holbrook had two apiece.

Hunter Burns stopped a dozen shots for the Lions, which took a 1-0 lead only 40 seconds in on a Koben Zink goal that Ryan Ludwick assisted on.

Then, just before the half, Reese Teeters touched one right-footed and found the net for the 2-1 advantage.

Robert Deal was credited with three saves for Clay, as Fairfield finished with eight shots —five of which were on goal.

Belpre 10, Portsmouth 1

Piketon 4, Fairland 2

Eastern Brown 6, Southeastern 2