As with the week prior, several of Shawnee State’s athletic programs will be in action over the coming week and weekend as the women’s and men’s basketball programs will take on Life (Ga.) on Thursday evening and Cumberland (Tenn.) on Saturday afternoon in a pair of Mid-South Conference road trips. The indoor track program (Friday, Feb. 14, Ohio Wesleyan Valentine’s Open) and the baseball program (Saturday, Feb. 15 and Sunday, Feb. 16, Big League Camp) will also play across various locations over the coming weekend.
A full preview of all of the matchups are below:
No. 7 SSU women (22-4, 9-3 Mid-South)
Life (10-13, 2-9 Mid-South) notes
- In their previous meeting between one another, the Bears defeated the Running Eagles by a 85-66 count on Dec. 7.
- Life is led by four double-figure scorers:
- 5-10 junior Sydni Tears (13.4 points, 6.7 rebounds, 49.6 percent shooting)
- 5-10 senior Tierra Lindsey (11.5 points, 5.9 rebounds, 45.2 percent shooting)
- 5-6 sophomore Tierra Tullis (11 points, 4.9 rebounds, 2.7 steals)
- 5-6 junior Maeisha Teasley (10.2 points, 4.1 steals, 2.9 rebounds, 46.9 percent shooting)
- Anthony Maxwell (45-68) is in his fourth season at Life.
Cumberland (7-15, 1-10 Mid-South) notes
- In their previous meeting, the Bears defeated the Phoenix by a 77-69 gap in Portsmouth on Dec. 5.
- Cumberland is led by three-double figure scorers:
- 5-8 senior Kerrice Watson (11.3 points, three rebounds, 46.7 percent shooting, 42 percent three-point shooting)
- 6-0 senior Katherine Griffith (11.2 points, 5.7 rebounds, 1.4 blocks, 50 percent shooting)
- 5-8 junior Mackenzie Trouten (10.2 points, 4.2 rebounds, 1.7 steals, 40.4 percent shooting)
- Scott Blum (14-35) is in his second season at Cumberland.
No. 22 SSU (17-9, 6-6 Mid-South)
Life (10-14, 1-10 Mid-South) notes
- In their previous meeting, the Bears defeated the Running Eagles by a 61-50 margin in Portsmouth on Dec. 7.
- Life is led by two double-figure scorers:
- 6-7 senior Antwan Maxwell (13.8 points, 8.8 rebounds, 42.2 percent shooting)
- 6-2 junior Cam Horton (13.1 points, 3.6 rebounds, 1.5 steals, 40.1 percent shooting)
- Kevin Easley (29-28) is in his second season as the head coach at Life.
Cumberland (12-12, 3-8 Mid-South) notes
- In their previous meeting, the Bears fell to Cumberland by a 77-74 margin in overtime on Dec. 5 in Portsmouth.
- Cumberland (Tenn.) has put three players in double-figures on a per game basis so far this season:
- 6-5 senior Jalen Duke (18 points, 5.4 rebounds, 58.2 percent shooting, 57.5 percent three-point shooting)
- 6-5 junior Aaron Ridley (12 points, 4.5 rebounds, 2.4 assists, 1.3 steals)
- 6-6 senior DeMari Davis (10.8 points, 7.5 rebounds, 44.2 percent shooting)
- Jeremy Lewis (23-27) is in his second season as the head coach at Cumberland. Lewis won 150 games as the women’s head coach at Cumberland before transitioning to the men’s post. He’s in his 17th season as either a full-time assistant or a player within the Phoenix’s program.
Key for SSU men/women
- Limit turnovers. Shawnee State’s 22 turnovers against Life in the first meeting on the women’s side allowed the Running Eagles to hang around in SSU’s 85-66 victory, while the men’s 19 turnovers proved to be their undoing in a 77-74 overtime loss to Cumberland. For the men and women to take care of business, a premium is going to have to continue to be placed on taking care of the basketball.
- With the second weekend of the regular season closing in fast, Shawnee State will prepare for a four-game set (two games apiece against Montreat and West Virginia Tech) at the Big League Camp series in Lake James, N.C. on Saturday and Sunday. The Bears will play at 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. on both days. The indoor track programs will participate at the Ohio Wesleyan Valentine’s Meet this Friday as well — which will be its final tune-up prior to the Mid-South Conference Championships on Friday, Feb. 21 and Saturday, Feb. 22.
For more information on SSU Bears Athletics, visit www.ssubears.com or visit the Twitter and Facebook pages at https://twitter.com/SSUBears and https://www.facebook.com/SSUBears. For more information on how to join the SSU Bear Club, visit https://givetossu.com/bear-club.