MINFORD — A shooting incident has resulted in the death of a mother and her 16-year-old daughter in Minford Sunday night.
Around 2 p.m., Monday, Scioto County Sheriff Marty V. Donini verified that the two people whose bodies were found around 8 a.m., Monday, at their mobile home, located at 4098 Blue Run Road in Minford, were shot to death.
Donini identified the two victims as Candice Newsome, 48, and her 16-year-old daughter, Kristina Mykal Newsome.
Donini said investigators have not as yet come up with a motive or a suspect.
“We are questioning, backtracking to see who was at the house last (Sunday) night,” Donini said. “We’re going to interview every one of them. We don’t have anybody that we want to name at this time.”
Donini said his office received a 911 call at 8:33 a.m., Monday morning, from a family member who had gone to the mobile home after a man had come upon the scene. That man then went to the family member’s home, and that member of the family went to the scene.
“They assumed that they had been murdered,” Donini said. “A preliminary investigation indicates that each one of those victims was probably shot. We can’t verify that yet, but we are in the process of doing that now.”
The Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation (BCI&I) was at the scene gathering evidence and the Scioto County Sheriff’s Office was also out in full force with detectives Jodi Conkel and Dan Malone among others at the scene.
Donini said it appeared that the teenage girl attempted to flee the scene. He also verified the mother was found in her bed.
“We went and got an actual search warrant and the recommendation of the (Scioto) County Prosecutor (Mark Kuhn),” Donini said. “We just want to make sure all of our bases are covered. Therefore we left the residence, went and got the search warrant and we came back with the search warrant.”
Donini said authorities are speculating that just the two people lived in the mobile home. He said he does not believe the father of the girl, the woman’s husband, does not live at the same residence.
A neighbor who wished to remain anonymous said his son used to play with the 16-year-old when they were younger.
Donini said he will update the information with the Daily Times as it becomes available. He said it is possible a motive will result from BCI&I’s investigation.
Reach Frank Lewis at 740-353-3101, ext. 1928, or on Twitter @franklewis.