South Webster man succumbs to gunshot wound

By Frank Lewis -

A South Webster man has died from gunshot wounds suffered in Youngstown, Ohio where he was working. Matthew E. Dalton, 40, was working as a millwright for General Motors. Liberty, Ohio Police Chief Richard Tisone told the Daily Times, Dalton was staying at a motel when the shooting occurred.

Tisone said the morning of Jan. 27 at 5 o’clock, Liberty Police units responded to the area of Catherine Street in reference to gunshots.

“When our units arrived there, we found Mr. Dalton lying there with a serious wound in the back of his leg,” Tisone said. “Our officers applied a tourniquet, which I believe in that point and time probably helped the bleeding to subside, but it was a severe wound.” Tisone said.

Tison said Dalton was transported to St. Elizabeth’s Hospital.

During the course of the investigation, the Liberty Detective Bureau developed some leads in the case and have charged William Shakoor, 20, and Michael Curry, 21, both from Youngstown, with aggravated murder. Originally, while Dalton was still alive, the two had been charged with attempted murder and aggravated robbery, but those charges will be changed since Dalton passed away.

Shakoor is in the custody of Trumbull County, Ohio Jail after being picked up by U.S. Marshals.

“Mr. Curry remains loose at this point and time,” Tisone said. “He’s considered armed and dangerous.”

Tisone described information that Dalton was kidnapped and robbed, whcih has made its way through social media, as erroneous.

“That’s not true,” Tisone said. “They’re putting a different spin on it.”

Tisone then gave the Times his official account of what happened.

“The evidence that we have thus far is that he and the two suspects were involved in a drug transaction,” Tisone said. “The reason we know that to be is that we have video evidence. We also have a statement from the suspect as to what they were doing. They don’t know each other but they did happen to meet in a local establishment and that’s where this drug transaction took place and then the second one obviously which was the cause of his death.”

By Frank Lewis

Reach Frank Lewis at 740-353-3101, ext. 1928, or on Twitter @franklewis.

Reach Frank Lewis at 740-353-3101, ext. 1928, or on Twitter @franklewis.