Veterans Day is right around the corner and many local schools and organizations are gearing up to honor those who have served through their annual Veterans day assemblies and activities.
While some may disagree with schools being in session on Veterans Day, many educators welcome veterans to their schools to celebrate, providing students an opportunity to meet and thank Veterans from their communities.
“The district has traditionally been in school on Veterans Day to allow our staff and students the opportunity to celebrate with and learn from local veterans,” said Minford’s Superintendent Jeremy Litteral. “We provide activities and assemblies to raise awareness of Veterans Day in an effort to teach our kids the importance of this special day.”
The following is a list of school assemblies along with community activities designed to give back to those who have honorably served our country:
- Nov. 10 — Eastern Local School District will be hosting a Veterans Day assembly at 1:30 p.m. in the high school gymnasium, located at 1170 Tile Mill Road in Beaver.
- Nov. 11 — Clay Local School District, 44 Clay High Street in Rosemount, will be hosting their Veterans Day assembly at 1:30 p.m. in the high school gymnasium.
- Nov. 11 — Minford Local School District will be hosting will be hosting their Veterans Day assembly at 12:30 p.m. in the high school gymnasium, 491 Bond Road in Minford. Congressman Bill Johnson will be speaking. Johnson himself is a veteran; he served for over 26 years in the United States Air Force, retiring in 1999 as a Lieutenant Colonel. “We recognize there is no greater honor than to serve in the United States military and it’s our duty as citizens to honor the veterans,” said Assistant Principal, Tate Skinner.
- Nov. 11 — New Boston Local School District located at 1 Glenwood Tiger Trail in New Boston, will be hosting a Veterans Day assembly at 11:15 a.m. in the high school gymnasium.
- Nov. 11 — Northwest Local School District will be hosting a Veterans Day assembly in the high school, 914 Mohawk Drive, McDermott, at 10:15 a.m.
- Nov. 11 — Portsmouth City Schools will be hosting their Veterans Day assembly in the high school gym, 1225 Gallia Street, at 9:20 a.m.
- Nov. 11 — Bloom-Vernon (South Webster) School District, will be hosting a Veterans Day assembly in the high school gymnasium, 10529 Main Street in South Webster, at 10 a.m. A special meal will be held for Veterans following the assembly. Please call Rodney Barnett at 740-778-0001 to pre-register.
- Nov. 11 — East (Sciotoville) will be hosting their Veterans Day assembly at 9 a.m. in the high school gymnasium, 224 Marshall Street, Portsmouth.
- Nov. 11 — Valley Local School District will be holding a Veterans Day assembly at 1 p.m. in the high school gymnasium, 1821 OH-728 in Lucasville.
- Nov. 11 — Washington-Nile (West Portsmouth) School District, 15332 US-52 will be hosting a Veterans Day assembly at 12:30 p.m. in the Elementary School gymnasium.
- Nov. 11 — Wheelersburg Local School District will be hosting a Veterans Day assembly at 9 a.m. in the high school cafetorium, 800 Pirate Drive in Wheelerburg.
Other Veterans Day activities include:
- Nov. 9 — Shawnee State University, 940 2nd Street, will be hosting a special ceremony recognizing student-veterans and local veterans at the Morris University Center from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. Congressman Brad Wenstrup and State Representative Terry Johnson are scheduled as featured speakers
- Nov. 11 — American Legion Post 471, 950 Gallia Street will be providing breakfast for veterans at 7:30 a.m
- Nov. 11 — Operation Gratitude will be delivering food bags to local veterans in need. Those interested in volunteering can meet at the Ohio River Valley Chapter of the American Red Cross, 1801 Robinson Avenue in Portsmouth at 9:30 a.m. Please contact Libby Brisker at 740-353-8810 for more information.
- Nov. 11 — The Veterans Day ceremony at Tracy Park will be held, beginning at 10:30 a.m. Portsmouth Police Chief Rob Ware will be the featured speaker and the West Portsmouth marching band will also be performing. After the ceremony, all attendees are invited to American Legion Post 23, 705 Court Street, for beans and cornbread.
- Nov. 11 — Southern Ohio Medical Center (SOMC) will honor their military-veteran employees at 11 a.m. in the lobby of the main SOMC facility, 1805 27th Street, Portsmouth. Sam McKibbin from WNXT radio will be the featured speaker.
Reach Ciara Conley at 740-981-6977, Facebook “Ciara Conley - Daily Times,” and Twitter @PDT_Ciara.