The holiday season is synonymous with many things, including delicious foods. While Thanksgiving turkeys or Christmas geese will be found on many a table this holiday season, baked goods and desserts are what many people look forward to this time of year.
Holiday hosts with a lot on their plates might not have the time to prepare homemade baked goods for their guests. Thankfully, the following recipe for “Chocolate-Strawberry Pie” from Addie Gundry’s “No-Bake Desserts”(St. MartinÕs Press) can be prepared in just 15 minutes, all without turning on the oven.
Yields 1 pie
1 pint fresh strawberries, washed, trimmed and halved
1 store-bought (or homemade) chocolate cookie pie crust
3 cup sugar
4 cup cornstarch
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
4 teaspoon minced crystallized ginger
8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Pinch of kosher or sea salt
6 large egg yolks
2 cups half-and-half
6 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
2 tablespoon rum extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Additional strawberries for garnish (optional)
1. Place the strawberry halves in a single layer in the bottom of the pie crust.
2. In a medium saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder, ginger, nutmeg, and salt over medium heat.
3. Whisk in the egg yolks to create a thick paste. Gradually whisk in the half-and-half until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
4. Add the chocolate and whisk until combined. Add the rum and vanilla extracts. Cool the mixture for 4 minutes.
5. Pour the filling over the strawberries and up to the top of the crust. Chill the pie for 2 hours or until set.
6. Garnish with additional strawberries, if desired.