How will you celebrate dad this weekend? You don’t have to look much further than your own backyard for fun activities and places to shop to find that perfect gift for Father’s Day.
Fishing & more — If your dad is an outdoorsman, there are plenty of local places to spend some one on one time together this weekend. For fishing, grab your poles and head down to the banks of the Ohio River. The two lakes, Roosevelt and Turkey Creek, total 68 acres and offer boating with electric motors only. Launch ramps are provided for access to the lakes. The camp store also offers canoe, kayak and paddleboat rentals.
Bike or hike — There are several organizations in the area dedicated to cycling. The Tour of The Scioto River Valley bike ride comes through the area every year, proving that there are plenty of places to ride and beautiful scenic routes to take in. For more information, contact Portsmouth Connex by visiting www.connexmoves.org.
Pack and bag and picnic — Shawnee Forest also boats several shelter houses and picnic points. You can also check out your local park or grill out in your own back yard.
Shop til you drop
With a variety of local vendors in the area, you’re bound to find the perfect gift.
Places to check out — Masterworks jewlery for the perfect watch and more. Scioto Shoe Mart, treat your dad’s feet to a new pair of workboots, summer sandals and more. You can also visit Doc Spartan’s online shopping store at www.docspartan.com for deals on locally made, natural products.
There are a variety of events this weekend for all sorts of family fun.
Here are some events in town tonight:
- Dreamland Concert and Cruise-In at Spartan Stadium, 56 James Street. Local talent begins at 1 p.m., cruise-in at 4 p.m. and Nashville acts at 6 p.m. Tickets are $12 at the gate.
- Don Smith will be performing at Port City Cafe and Pub, 424 Chillicothe Street at 8 p.m.
- Main Street Portsmouth Farmer’s Market. 9-12 at the Roy Roger’s Esplanade.
- The 14th Street Community Center will be hosting a soul food and music fundraiser from 1-4 p.m. Tickets are available at Smith’s Drugs or at the door.
- The Scioto County River Sweep will take place beginning at 8 a.m. at the Court Street Landing at Earl Thomas Conley/Riverside Park.