- The Scioto County Retired Teacher’s Association will conduct a meeting of the executive committee on November 14, 2016 at 10:30 A.M. in the Portsmouth Public Library meeting room.
- The Regular Board Meeting for the Northwest Regional Water District will be held, Tuesday, November 15, 2016 at 7:30 p.m. at the Thomas E. and Lois E. Slye Annex located at 123 Smith Street, McDermott, Ohio 45652.
- The Business Development Program of the Community Action Committee of Pike County, the Pike County Career Technology Center, and the OSU Small Business Development Center are offering a one-day Introduction to QuickBooks Workshop on Wednesday, November 16th, 2016 from 9:00 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. at the OSU Endeavor Center in Piketon, Ohio. The workshop is designed to teach the basic features of QuickBooks to record and track your business transactions. This course is designed for persons who have no prior knowledge of how to use QuickBooks, or for persons who are familiar with the software and want to learn about the features and functionality of QuickBooks. For more information and to obtain a registration form, contact Lisa Pfeifer or Patty Russell at 740-289-2371 or toll free at 1-866-820-1185.
The Southern Ohio Procurement Outreach Center presents an informative workshop geared towards small businesses interested in “Doing Business with Wayne National Forest and the US Dept. of Agriculture.” Workshop: The Ohio River Basin (ORB) Acquisition Team purchases supplies, services and construction for a total of seven Forest Service locations in six states. Locally, Wayne National Forest has offices in Marietta, Nelsonville, and Pedro. Members of the Acquisition Team will discuss details of the contracting process, including finding opportunities, the bid process, and working with local contacts. This workshop will be very helpful for small businesses considering expansion into the government contract arena. Thursday, November 17, 2016, from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm at the Lawrence County Chamber of Commerce, 216 Collins Ave., South Point, OH 45680, registration is free. To register, go to http://sopoc.ecenterdirect.com or call the Southern Ohio Procurement Outreach Center: 740-377-4550
The Scioto County Board of Developmental Disabilities will hold it’s regular Board Meeting on Thursday, November 17, 2016 at 6:00 P.M. at STAR Inc., 2625 Gallia Street, Portsmouth, OH 45662. An Ethics Committee Meeting will be held at 5:45 P.M. at the same place, if needed. Meetings are open to the public, with the exception of Executive Session.
Retirees of the Piketon Plant, both hourly and salary, are invited to meet for their monthly luncheon 11 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 17, at Gatti’s Pizza, 1658 11th St., Portsmouth. Spouses are also encouraged to attend. This group meets on the third Thursday of each month. For more information, call (740) 897-2863.
- The Scioto County Right to Life will conduct its next chapter meeting on Tuesday, November 29, 2016, at 6 p.m. at 5581 State Route 139 in Rubyville — just across the street from Craft’s Custom Kitchens. All supporters of life are welcome to attend. If you are interested in helping to educate the local public on life issues, or you want to receive periodic updates from Scioto County Right to Life on issues and upcoming events, join us on Facebook, or e-mail us at email@example.com. SCRTL also has speakers available to address life issues for local church, school and civic groups. For more information about Scioto County Right to Life, visit online at www.sciotolife.org.
- The U.S. Forest Service’s Wayne National Forest Ironton Ranger District is seeking volunteers from the community to assist in a trail maintenance project in Lawrence County. The event is scheduled for Saturday, December 10th & Sunday, December 11th from 8 a.m. till 4:30 p.m. Volunteers will be assigned tasks on the Districts off-highway vehicle trails, with projects focused on natural resource protection and trail safety. Volunteers will use various tools to make surface improvements, remove unwanted vegetation, install signs and trail markers. For donating your time, each participant will receive a 2017 Wayne National Forest Annual Trail Permit after 16 hours of contributed time. Trail Permits are valid April through December of 2017. To assist planners in coordinating equipment and supply needs, volunteers are asked to pre-register for the event by Friday, November 18, 2016, by contacting Gary Chancey at 740-753-0862, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. This project is collaboratively funded through the United States Department of Transportation’s Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, the Wayne National Forest and volunteers. The grant program is distributed annually after applicants are approved by the Recreation Trails Program (RTP). Since 2002, approximately $1.9 million has been invested through this collaboration to provide safe off-highway vehicle trail opportunities on the Ironton Ranger District. For more information, visit our website at http://www.fs.usda.gov/wayne. Follow the Wayne National Forest on Twitter: @waynenationalfs and on Facebook.