At one point, the judge’s secretary, Dee Alley, sat under an umbrella to protect herself and some of the electronic equipment from getting soaked, according to Leroy Kegley, clerk of the courts.
“She sat at her desk with an umbrella open,” Leroy Kegley said. “The city clerk’s office also took water from a leaking roof and ceiling.”
Both Greenup County and Lewis County school districts in Kentucky canceled classes Monday because school buses could not get through the high water in various spots.
In Ohio, Northwest, Symmes Valley and Gallia County local school districts all closed for the day, while Green Local, Scioto County MRDD, Washington-Nile and Valley Local all operated on a one-hour delay.
The Village of New Boston postponed all garbage pickup until Thursday and Friday.
Roads closed Monday by flooding and washouts in the Ohio Department of Transportation’s District 9 region included:
• U.S. 52 near Friendship.
• Ohio 73 from the Adams County line through the village of Rarden and continuing to Henley.
• Ohio 73 and Ohio 32 in Adams County, extending through to Henley in Scioto County.
• U.S. 52 at Higginsport in Brown County.
• Ohio 93 between Pedro and Ohio 373 in Lawrence County.
• Ohio 139 near White Gravel Road in Scioto County and continuing on through to Ohio 279 in Jackson County.
• Ohio 140 at South Webster.
• Ohio 335 just north of Sciotoville and the Portsmouth corporation limit, continuing through to Wheelers mill.
• Ohio 141 at Ohio 775 and north of Wilgus in Lawrence County.