The Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles has completed the implementation of equipment to produce a new format on a statewide basis.
In April 2009, the BMV began issuing the new format for state driver licenses and identification cards on a pilot basis at select agencies in Columbus, Cleveland and Toledo.
“Whether it’s through preparedness exercises, Homeland Security or the BMV, we are always working to keep Ohioans safe and secure,” Ohio Department of Public Safety Director Henry Guzman said. “The new driver license has helped Ohio take a significant step toward keeping with national standards and improving security.”
Security features changes:
• The license has been changed to a salmon color and the design now includes the addition of a state of Ohio outline logo which will indicate the type of card (ie: driver license, commercial driver license, temporary instruction permit or identification card)
• The main photo will now appear in the top left corner and the ghost image will appear on the right side of the card
• The individual’s information lines are now numbered to assist law enforcement
• There is no longer a “table of contents” on the back of the driver license or identification card with the entire list of driving restrictions; only restrictions applying to the individual are listed and will be abbreviated. If the individual has no driving restrictions, no restrictions will be listed on the back of the driver license. This change occurred in November 2008 as part of an initial round of changes.
• The magnetic strip will now identify males or females with a designation of 1 or 2, respectively.
Individuals holding a driver license or identification printed in the old formats are still valid until they expire. Customers are not required to obtain a replacement if they have the old format. Anyone with questions regarding the new format should contact the Ohio BMV at: (614) 752-7500. People wanting more information or to view images of the new driver license and identification cards may go to: http://bmv.ohio.gov.
FRANK LEWIS may be reached at (740) 353-3101, ext. 232.