PDT Staff Writer
Portsmouth 8 Cinemas of Republic Theatres will introduce their newest form of entertainment called Specticast beginning Sunday, March 24, 2013.
Thomas Euton, General Manager of Republic Theatres Portsmouth 8 Cinemas, said the company is excited about the opportunity to offer Specticast to their viewing audiences.
“Starting March 24 we will open up with the classic, Great Expectations, which will be live from the Vaudeville Theatre in London. Specticast is an all digital program that will allow us to provide live streaming of performances from all over the world that are happening live,” Euton said.
According to Euton, Specticast is the fastest growing all-digital private network company in North America.
“We will be bringing world-class events from the Marlinsky Theatre in St. Petersburg, the Berliner Philarmonie, the Sadler Wells Theatre in London, the Amsterdam Mus Theatre, and many others,” Euton said.
Specticast distributes content to theatrical venues and offers some of the world’s best in concerts, operas, symphonies, ballets and independent cinema.
Euton said Specticast will afford opportunities to the general public that otherwise would not be possible.
“Many people in southern Ohio may not get a chance to go to London, but Specticast provides this venue, right here in Portsmouth,” Euton said.
Euton said the public can also request programming by visiting the websites to see educational or show events.
“We can also book other programming through Specticast if we have at least 20 to 25 requests for a particular program,” Euton said.
Euton said the booking process takes at least one month for chosen show dates for any venues.
The Specticast programming lineup will include the following:
- Charles Dickens’ Great Expectations: Sunday, March 24, at 3:45 p.m. and Wednesday, March 27, at 6:30 p.m.
- Don Quixote Pasis Opera Ballet: Sunday, April 7, at 3:45 p.m. and Wednesday, April 10, at 6:30 p.m.
- Giacomo Puccini’s La Boheme: Sunday, April 21, at 3:45 p.m. and Wednesday, April 24 at 6:30 p.m.
- Handel and Vivaldi in HD The Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia with David Kim: Sunday, May 5 at 3:45 p.m. and Wednesday, May 8 at 6:30 p.m.
- Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Phatom of the Opera: Sunday, May 19, at 3:45 p.m. and Wednesday, May 22 at 6:30 p.m.
- Legends of Dance Swan Lake Vienna 1966: Sunday, June 2 at 3:45 p.m. and Wednesday, June 5 at 6:30 p.m.
- Peter Gabriel: New Blood: Sunday, June 16, 2013, at 3:45 p.m. and Wednesday, June 19 at 6:3o p.m.
Pricing for these events will be $10 general admission, and $8 for students. Special pricing will be available for large groups and school groups.
An abbreviated list of websites for more programming include Opera in HD - specticast.com/Opera_inHD.isp, Ballet in HD - specticast.com/Ballet_inHD.isp and KidFlix - specticast.com/Kid_Flix.isp.
Portia Williams may be reached at 740-353-3101, ext. 286 or firstname.lastname@example.org.