PDT Staff Writer
Jo Ann Aeh, acting executive secretary of the Portsmouth Civil Service Commission, has announced the scheduling of the exam for Captain of the Portsmouth Police Department.
Aeh said all lieutenants who have been in their current rank for a minimum of 12 months prior to the date of the examination are eligible. She said applications are available now in the office of Portsmouth City Solicitor John Haas, located on the second floor of the Municipal building. Those applications must be returned to the Solicitor’s office on or before March 18 at 1 p.m.
Aeh said a written examination will be conducted on Thursday, April 18, 22013 at 1 p.m. at the Central Fire Station, 1529 Gallia St., in Portsmouth. She said all applicants should report to the testing site between 12:40 p.m. and 12:50 p.m. with two pencils and one pen.
Aeh said those on the Police Department eligible to take the exam are Bruce Barney, Debbie Jenkins and Jerry Leach.
The captain’s slot came open when Robert Ware became Chief of Police for the city, leaving only one captain, Lynn Brewer on a force that calls for two captains.
The source of the examination:
- Collective Bargaining Agreement
- Codified Ordinances of Portsmouth (Administrative Codes)
- Legal Guide for Police, Constitutional Issues, Walker & Hemmens
(9th Ed., 2011). Elsevier, 30 Corporate Drive, Burlington, MA 01803 1-800 -545-2522.
- Management and Supervision of Law Enforcement Personnel (4th Ed., 2006) by Donald J. Schroeder and Frank Lombardo. LexisNexis, 1-800-446-3410
- The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People (2004) by Stephen R. Convey.
- Rules and Regulations/Policies and Procedures of the Portsmouth Police Department.
Frank Lewis may be reached at 740-353-3101, ext. 252, or at firstname.lastname@example.org.