Margaret Phillips Schu-macher died as a result of the fire that started in the kitchen of her apartment, according to a Portsmouth Fire Department spokesman.
According to officials with the fire department, the fire was called in at about 3:35 a.m. on Friday. The fire was at the 1529 Kendall Ave., apartment complex. The blaze was contained to the single apartment, a fire department spokesman said.
The fire still is under investigation by the fire department. Schumacher was taken to The Ohio State University, where she later died Friday.
Schumacher was 67 years old. Arrangements are pending under the direction of the Brant Funeral Home in Portsmouth.