Three firemen from the Portsmouth Fire Department were injured at a house fire at 2429 Micklethwaite Road.
Firefighter Scott Osborne received a second-degree burn on his chin and a laceration on his left hand.
Lt. Travis Garrett and firefighter Chris Lowrey were treated for smoke inhalation from some toxic substances that were upstairs.
The injured firefighters were treated and released from Southern Ohio Medical Center.
The toxic substance was believed to be green gas, made of propane and liquid silicone used for paintball guns.
The house, owned by Dr. Steven and Cecile Keys, received moderate to heavy fire damage and heavy smoke damage upstairs, with some smoke and water damage downstairs, said Portsmouth Assistant Chief Shawn Gee.
“It appears to be electrical in nature,” Gee said. “One of the extension cords in the bedroom overheated.”
The Keys' son discovered the fire upstairs at about noon. His parents were downstairs at the time.
According to the report, the Keys family was in the driveway when the Portsmouth Fire Department arrived.
Firefighters were on the scene for about 3 1/2 hours.
In another fire, a house and trailer combined in West Portsmouth caught on fire at 1018 Sulphur Lick Road, off of Carey's Run/Pond Creek Road.
The house is owned by Don Russell.
“No one was home at the time,” said Wayne Stewart, assistant fire chief with the Washington Township Fire Department. “The neighbors heard an explosion and looked outside and the house was on fire.”
The neighbors were Steve and Kim Galloway at 1016 Sulphur Lick Road.
The call came into the fire station about 3 p.m.
While firefighters were battling the fire, some firefighters found a dog in a nearby creek, he said.
The owner arrived at the home just after the dog was discovered and he immediately took the dog to the veterinarian.
“The neighbor said the dog jumped out of the window,” Stewart said. “The house was a total loss. The neighbor's house also received some heavy damage on one side.”
The Nile Township and South Shore, Ky., fire departments assisted with the fire until 5:30 p.m.
“There were 17 guys and six trucks,” Stewart said.