Investigators determined the fire at 616 Stoney Run started near the electrical panel on the first floor of a mobile home that was attached to a two-story garage-apartment.
The mother, father and child were asleep on the second floor when the sound of the smoke alarms woke them. The smoke and heat from the fire had spread into the hallway where the steps to the second floor were located, forcing the family to escape through a second-story window.
The identity of the family members involved had not been released by Tuesday evening.
The family also alerted their neighbor at 620 Stoney Run; she is the mother of the male occupant at 616; a few minutes later the family do also was able to escape the fire.
Shane Cartmill, public information officer for the State Fire Marshal’s Office, said investigators cannot rule out an electrical malfunction at or near the electrical panel. He said investigators found no evidence of criminal intent.
One female was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation, but she did not require hospital treatment.
The investigation was conducted by the Division of State Fire Marshal with assistance of the Washington Township Volunteer Fire Department and the Scioto County Sheriff’s Office. Nile Township Volunteer Fire Department and South Shore, Kentucky Fire Department provided mutual aid.
FRANK LEWIS may be reached at (740) 353-3101, ext. 232, or firstname.lastname@example.org.