“The governor congratulates the Board for its decision and hopes that they continue this aggressive level of driving the scourge of prescription drug abuse out of southern Ohio,” said Rob Nichols, aide to Kasich.
Kasich had taken the Board to task for not suspending quickly enough Lundeen’s license after Lundeen had been decertified by the BWC just days after the raid.
“This guy is still practicing medicine,” Kasich said at the time. “Suspend the guy for probable cause. Either we’re serious about this or we’re not.”
Wednesday’s suspension accuses Lundeen of violating the Medical Practice Act, and the release sent by the Medical Board said Lundeen’s “continued practice presents a danger of immediate and serious harm to the public.”
The Medical Board accuses Lundeen’s practice as being atypical of common medical practice. As an example, the board said he maintained one main office and operated about 12 offices across Ohio. He worked in Portsmouth one day every two weeks, the board said, treating about 90 patients per day, often with 30-40 people waiting at one time.
By Dr. Lundeen’s own statement, the board said, “a high percentage” of the patients received controlled substances.
Last week, Lundeen filed a Motion for Default Judgment against the BWC in Franklin County Common Pleas Court, claiming the OBWC has not responded in a timely manner to his Verified Emergency Motion for Temporary Restraining Order after 18 days had passed. He has also threatened to file a federal civil rights suit against Portsmouth City Solicitor Mike Jones because Jones had earlier failed to give him a determination as to whether his practice fell within the guidelines of a new ordinance regulating pain clinics. Jones said he sent a one-sentence response informing Lundeen he could not give him legal advice.