Kindergarten and preschool registration will be conducted from 4 to 7 p.m. Tuesday, April 5, and Thursday, April 7, at Green Elementary, 46 Braunlin Road, Franklin Furnace.
Bring the following: birth certificate, immunization record, Social Security card, proof of residence, custody documents (if applicable), and income statement (preschool only).
For more information, contact the school at (740) 354-9330 or (740) 354-9551.
Blood drives are scheduled
Ohio River Valley Chapter of the American Red Cross has scheduled blood drives for April. The blood drives will be held at these locations:
• 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday, April 4, at Paramount Beauty Academy, 1745 11th St.; call (740) 353-2436 to schedule an appointment.
• 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Thursday, April 7, at Pike Community Hospital, 100 Dawn Lane, Waverly; call (740) 947-2186 to schedule an appointment.
• Noon to 5:30 p.m. Thursday, April 14, at Cornerstone Church of the Nazarene, 12138 Gallia Pike Road, Wheelersburg; call (740) 574-2012 to schedule an appointment.
• 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday, April 18, at Minford High School, 491 Bond Road, Minford; call (740) 820-3445 to schedule an appointment.
• 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday, April 19 at Shawnee State University in the University Center back lobby, 940 Second St.; call (740) 351-3662 to schedule an appointment.
• 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday, April 20, at South Webster High School, 10529 Ohio, South Webster; call (740) 778-2320 to schedule an appointment.
• 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday, April 20, at Shawnee State University in the University Center back lobby, 940 Second St.; call (740) 351-3662 to schedule an appointment.
• 1 to 6 p.m. Tuesday, April 26, for Portsmouth community sponsored by Church Women United at All Saints Church, Fourth and Court streets ; call (740) 250-9929 to schedule an appointment.
Competition winners to be announced
The annual Student Writing Competition winners will be announced at a special ceremony at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, March 31, at the University Center Ballroom at Shawnee State University.
Awards will be presented to three categories: best poem, best short fiction story and best creative non-fiction essay.
Each winner will receive $75 and will be published in the spring edition of the Silhouette magazine. Up to two honorable mentions will be awarded in each category.
Honorable mentions will receive $25 each and possible publication in the Silhouette magazine. Winners and honorable mentions also will receive certificates.
An open mic format will be available for anyone who would like to read after the presentation of awards.
Refreshments will be provided. For more information, contact Professor Neil Carpathios at (740) 351-3478 or email email@example.com.