Quantcast


Last updated: December 03. 2013 10:50PM - 455 Views

Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

Cody Leist


PDT Sports Writer


The OHSAA announced Tuesday that no petitions had been submitted by Monday’s deadline for member schools to vote on the May 2014 referendum.


The news comes as a shock after schools decided against a new competitive balance formula brought before voters. In a written statement, the OHSAA anticipated a petition to split the tournaments into public and private formats.


However, OHSAA officials revealed that plans to stay the same with how postseason tournaments are conducted are not in their plans.


“The OHSAA’s Competitive Balance Committee, which has created proposals the last three years that the membership voted down, will continue to meet and, along with the Board of Directors, will continue to evaluate this situation,” the statement said. “There is no definite timeframe for another competitive balance proposal or other details available at this time.”


Locally, a variety of school administrators weighed in on the news. As the athletic director for the only private school in Scioto County and only one of two in the entire Southeast District, Notre Dame athletic director Mike Sammons is not in favor of a public-private split.


“Our stance is that we definitely don’t want a split,” Sammons said. “Being in a league with 15 other members, all being public schools, we work with public schools every day so we don’t want a split.”


Sammons questioned where his teams would have to play should a split actually take place. He feels the issue is more with the larger private schools to the north and the west of the state.


“I don’t think that we’re a threat to anyone,” Sammons said.


Portsmouth athletic director Joe Albrecht agrees the decision to split the tournaments doesn’t affect this part of the state as much as it does in the major metropolitan areas such as Cincinnati, Cleveland and Columbus. The potential of a split would hurt schools more during the regular season.


“There’s so many rivalries and so many games where we’re still playing one another,” Albrecht said.


One of the staunchest supporters of the competitive balance measure is Wheelersburg superintendent Mark Knapp, who is the president of the OHSAA Board of Directors. He was a bit surprised that nothing made it to the deadline but said the task is far from completed.


“I know the OHSAA will continue to work through the competitive balance committee to make things fair,” Knapp said. “…


“Our work is not done because (the public-private split initiative) didn’t come across.”


Cody Leist can be reached at 353-3101, ext. 294, or cleist@civitasmedia.com. For breaking sports news, follow Cody on Twitter @CodyLeist.


Comments
comments powered by Disqus



Featured Businesses


Poll



Info Minute



Gas Prices

Portsmouth Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com