PDT Staff Writer
Final preparations are underway for the 28th annual Tour of Churches that will begin at the Scioto County Courthouse Friday, Dec. 13. The event is hosted annually by the Business and Professional Women (BPW) of Scioto County and is free to the public.
“Tours will start from the (Scioto County) courthouse at 6 p.m. There will be tours leaving every 15 minutes, and the last tour starting at 8 p.m. The tours will be led by guides dressed in vintage clothing carrying lanterns to help guide the way,” said Ann Cardenas, event spokesperson.
Participating churches include:
• St. Mary of the Annunciation Catholic Church — Fifth and Market streets, Portsmouth;
• Grace Community Church (formerly Bigelow Church) — 415 Washington St., Portsmouth;
• All Saints Episcopal Church — 610 Fourth St., Portsmouth;
• First Presbyterian Church — 221 Court St., Portsmouth;
• Evangelical United Church of Christ — 701 Fifth St., Portsmouth.
“Each of the churches are wonderfully decorated for the Christmas season and at each church a local parishioner will share the local history and answer questions, with some of the churches dating back to the 1800s,” Cardenas said. “Tours end at First Presbyterian Church with refreshments provided. There will also be free Christmas music and entertainment in the lobby of the courthouse.”
For more information about the tours call Norna Prior, BPW President at 740-259-4033.
Wayne Allen may be reached at 740-353-3101, ext. 228, or firstname.lastname@example.org. For breaking news, follow Wayne on Twitter @WayneallenPDT.