The Organizational Meeting of the Wheelersburg Local School District Board of Education was held prior to the January 11, 2017 regular Board meeting.
- Matthew Miller was elected president and Ben Gill was elected vice-president. Scott Jolly was elected OSBA Legislative Liaison for 2017.
- Jonathan Eaton was elected OSBA Student Achievement Liaison for 2017. The Board adopted the Tax Budget for Fiscal Year 2018.
- The Board set the regular meeting dates for 2017 as the fourth Monday of each month at 6:00 PM.
- The Board approved standing authorizations as submitted.
The following business was conducted at the regular meeting following the Organizational Board Meeting.
- Special Recognition was given to the following:
- Jeb Thompson – 3rd grade student who was instrumental in sending spirit t-shirts to less fortunate students in other local schools
- Davis Bowling – 7th grade student who was instrumental in establishing a coat drive
- Wheelersburg Middle School Spelling Bee winners 6th – 8th Grade Winner – Serena Kataria 6th – 8th Grade Runner-up – Kate Gilmore 4th – 5th Grade Winner – Signy Morris 4th – 5th Grade Runner-up – Christopher Hamilton
- Wheelersburg Middle School Science Fair winners Co-Grand Champions – Serena Kataria and Andrew Brown 6th – 8th Grade 1st Place – Rachel Davenport 5th Grade 1st Place – Jace Boyer
- WHS Girls’ Tennis Team, SOC Champions Tom Carter, SOC Coach of the Year
- Lea Wright, SOC Player of the Year
- WHS Girls’ Soccer Team, SOC Champions, District Champions
- Todd Jarvis, Girls’ Soccer, SOC Coach of the Year
- Christen Risner, Girls’ Soccer, SOC Co-Player of the Year
- Morgan Willoughby, Girls’ Soccer, SOC Co-Player of the Year, 2nd Team All-Ohio
WHS Volleyball Team, SOC II Champions Kendra Coleman, SOC II Coach of the Year Ellie Ruby, SOC II Defensive Player of the Year
WHS Football Team, SOC II Champions Rob Woodward, SOC II Co-Coach of the Year, District Co-Coach of the Year Keaton Newsome, SOC II Back of the Year, 2nd Team All-Ohio Offensive Back Clint Hatfield, SOC II Lineman of the Year, Special Mention All-Ohio Mack Dyer, Southeastern Ohio Division V Offensive Player of the Year, 1st Team All-Ohio Quarterback Daylor Lewis, 2nd Team All-Ohio Kicker Xander Carmichael, 2nd Team All-Ohio Linebacker Tanner Bivens, Special Mention All-Ohio Lyden Collins, Special Mention All-Ohio.
Approval of minutes of the November 28, 2016 Regular Board Meeting was followed by the treasurer’s recommendations:
- Approval of the November 2016 and December 2016 Financial Reports
- Accepted donations from the Wheelersburg Athletic Association, Bruce Parsley, Nancy Stegman, SOMC, Wal-Mart, Crum Brothers Dairy Farm, DESCO Federal Credit Union, Exline Surveying, Inc., Hanes Chevrolet and Deemers, Inc. Superintendent’s recommendations included the following:
- Employment of substitute teachers
- Employment of substitute support staff
- Employment of a bus driver
- Approval of a Leave of Absence Approval of META Resolution
- Approval of OSBA 2017 Legal Assistance Fund Membership
- Approval of two resolutions
- Approval of a supplemental contract
The next Board of Education meeting will be held February 27, 2017 at 6:00 PM at the Board Office on Center Street.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU