Folks at South Central Ohio Educational Service Center (ESC) received a bit of a scare Thursday morning.
“Some (power) linee blew and split in half right across the street from the school (ESC offices),” Ryan Ottney of ESC told the Daily Times. “You could smell them burning right here. Someone told me they heard a huge boom and then all these power lines started shaking.”
Ottney said several places on Glenwood Avenue were without power including the building in which they operate. He said no one was hurt but one incident resulted from the outage.
“We did have a woman, Jan Thomas, an ESC employee, in the elevator at the time and it did stop between floors,” Ottney said. “The New Boston Fire Department responded with the assistance of Otis Elevator repair, and they were able to remove her safely from the elevator. She stayed calm and relaxed through the whole thing.”
With no power, Ottney said ESC was closing for the day. He said the split power line is down across the parking lot directly in front of the ESC building, and sparks can be seen coming from the line.
“The police and fire are still out there,” Ottney said. “They’re trying to keep people away.”
Ottney praised New Boston officials for their prompt response.
“The New Boston Fire Department did a wonderful job, as always,” Ottney said. ‘They responded quickly and have kept everyone away from the line. AEP is now here. Otis Elevator Repair showed up to help the fire department free her (Thomas) and everybody is fine. We are really pleased with their great response.”
Reach Frank Lewis at 740-353-3101, ext. 1928, or on Twitter @franklewisPDT.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU