Columbia Gas of Ohio workers began the arduous task of returning residents affected by an outage back to full service. Wednesday afternoon a gas line was dug into by a third party contractor, causing an outage to approximately 250 to 300 customers in the Wheelersburg/Sciotoville area along Ohio 140. Affected streets included Aldrich, Butler, Dalton, East, Edgewood, Front, Gallia, High, Liberty, Main, Mathiott, McCall and Preston.
Shane Cartmill of Columbia Gas of Ohio said the repairs were successful and completed early Thursday morning.
“As of 4:30 p.m., Columbia Gas crews have restored service to all but approximately 85 customers. We have technicians from all over southern Ohio, Columbus and Springfield assisting with restoring service to customers who were impacted by yesterday’s service outage,” Cartmill said. “At this point, we’ve made two passes through the area. The customers remaining likely have a card on their front door.
Cartmill said it is important that an adult must be home to allow their technician’s access to restore service. If no one is available at the home, the technicians will leave a door tag with a phone number and instructions on how to have service restored. Columbia Gas will have technicians available.
Here are some tips from Columbia Gas of Ohio for heating your home safely this winter:
- Have your furnace, stove, water heater and other natural gas appliances inspected and serviced by a qualified professional. They can make sure your appliances are safe and efficient.
- Before turning on your natural gas fireplace, be sure your flue is open. Close the flue when your fireplace is not in use.
- Install a carbon monoxide detector and change the batteries annually. If it indicates carbon monoxide is present, leave immediately and call 911.
- Avoid doing it yourself – call a qualified professional to have gas lines installed or serviced. The same goes for repairing gas appliances.
- If you smell the “rotten egg” odor of natural gas inside your home: ◦Evacuate immediately. Do not light a match or candle, or operate anything that could cause a spark, including cell phones, lights, appliances, flashlights, power tools, etc., do not open the windows and doors in an attempt to ventilate your home. From a safe location, call 911 and Columbia Gas of Ohio at 1-800-344-4077 and wait for our technician to arrive.
“Our technicians will continue to work all evening to get as many customers back in service as possible,” Cartmill said.”We encourage them to follow the directions on that card or call 1-800-344-4077 to have their service restored.”
Reach Frank Lewis at 740-353-3101, ext. 1928, or on Twitter @franklewis.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU