- Final plans are being made for the Valley Alumni banquet on June 4 at the American Legion on Court Street, Portsmouth. Social hour begins at 6 p.m. With dinner being catered by Chris Spencer being served at 7 p.m. Following dinner will be a program honoring the class of 29167 and 5 Valley graduates receiving a $2,000 scholarship each. Doc Roc and the Remedies will be performing following the program. Cost of dinner is $22 per person (including dance) and $10 per person dance only. Reservation forms are available at Valley schools website at www.valleyindians.net. For additional information call Pat Miller Sulllivan at 740-259-4042.
The Southern Ohio Agricultural and Community Development Foundation will be offering Competitive Grants available July 1, 2017 for the following 22 counties: Adams, Athens, Brown, Clermont, Clinton, Fayette, Gallia, Greene, Jackson, Highland, Lawrence, Meigs, Monroe, Morgan, Montgomery, Noble, Pike, Ross, Scioto, Vinton, Warren, Washington. Agricultural Development, The Pat Raines Young Farmer, Environmental/ Water Quality, Educational Assistance. If you have questions about the programs please call the Foundation Office at 937-393-2700.
- The Portsmouth Sanitation Department wishes to announce that new summer hours for trash pick-up and the Transfer Station operation will commence June 5. Trash pick-up operations will be 6:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. Mon-Fri. Transfer Station operation will be 7 a.m.-3 p.m. Mon-Fri. Please make sure that trash is out by 6:30 on your pickup day.
The 26th Annual East High School Alumni Scholarship Banquet will be held at the SOMC Friends Community Center, at 1202 18th Street in Portsmouth, on June 10, 2017, (the 2nd Saturday in June). Registration and social hour begins at 5:30 pm with dinner at 7 pm. All East graduates, friends and supporters are welcome. The Scholarship committee of alumni and school representatives chooses our scholarship winners with certificates being presented at the banquet. This year we will again award several $1,000 scholarships, thanks to your generosity! Alumni Association scholarships as well as family memorial scholarships will be presented including the Bouts family and Deemer family Memorial scholarships, the Noxsel-Waddell Foundation and the Scioto Foundation EHS UCAN scholarships. Dinner reservations are $22.00 per person. After dinner only dancing/entertainment reservations may be made for $10. For more information, call Trent at 740-285-3270 or send an email to email@example.com. The Alumni Letter/Registration Form can be downloaded from the school website at: www.east.k12.oh.us/alumni. Dinner reservations MUST be received by JUNE 3. Registration forms and checks for dinner reservations or scholarship donations made payable to the EHS Alumni Association should be sent to Trent Williams, Treasurer, 2520 Kalyn Drive, Portsmouth, OH 45662.
- The Portsmouth Sister City organization invites interested guests to a dinner on June 8 at Oscar’s restaurant inside the Holiday Inn on 2nd Street in Portsmouth. Social hour starts at 5 p.m. followed by dinner at 6 p.m. a program and the annual meeting will follow the dinner. The menu for the event includes fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, cole slaw, rolls, cake, nonalcholic beverages, and a ticket for one beer or glass of wine. The price of dinner is $10 per person, children under 6 are free.
Educational meeting- 5th of June , 7PM ,at the Hill View Retirement Community, Forest Room. This meeting is an educational outreach to the people of the surrounding area-It concerns the Hemlock Wooly Adelgid which is a very present threat to our population of Eastern Hemlocks. Left un-checked it spreads rapidly and can be devastating to the Hemlock trees in it’s path. It has now been found in 8 southeastern counties in Ohio. Locally , it is has now been found in a grove of Hemlocks in a hollow near Buena Vista. The spread is rapid and people who are concerned about the Hemlocks on their property or who enjoy hiking in the areas where these beautiful trees grow need to be aware how to identify signs of the HWA on the trees and also what can possibly be done to save them! The gentlemen who will be speaking at the meeting are presently involved as experts in the local frontline effort to prevent the loss of our beautiful local Eastern Hemlocks.
- Scioto County Commisioners will be not be holding a meeting May 30.
There will be a special council meeting for the Village of New Boston on Tuesday, May 30 at 6:00 p.m. to discuss wages and benefits in the council room at the community center.
Join us Wednesday, June 7 as King’s Daughters Ohio Farmers Market, 2001 Scioto Trail, will be hosting the Scioto Soil and Water Conservation District training for rain barrels. Training will provide a demonstration model of a kit and rain barrel, along with education. There will also be a diagram to learn about how to irrigate flowerbeds with the rain barrel. Scioto SWCD offers rain barrels at the cost of $30 for an adapter kit and barrel, and will have the kit on hand to purchase at the market. G&J Pepsi Cola of Franklin Furnace donates the barrels that accompany the kits. Other containers can be used with the kit as a barrel such as trashcans or storage containers.
- Discover Your Family will be presented at the John P Stephens Cultural Arts Center, Raceland High School on June 10, 2017 at 7pm. Tickets are $5 and can be purchased at any Boyd County Public Library location, Consigned Books in Ironton, Flatwoods and Greenup Stultz Pharmacies or at the door. Local businesses have donated silent auction items that will be available that evening to bid on. All proceeds will benefit Poage Chapter DAR Veterans projects. Any questions please contact the Boyd County Public Library genealogy department at 329-0518, extension 1510.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU