- The Washington-Nile Local Board of Education met on February 27 2017 at Portsmouth West Middle School. Mr. Chris Jordan, middle school principal had the opening prayer and led the Pledge of Allegiance.
- The Board recognized the following students: Student of the Month February Students — 9th- Lexy Quirasco 10th-Keshawn Carter 11th-Jade Ratliff 12th-Caitlin Russell. 5th- Jeffrey Bishop 6th-Tabitha Turpen 7th-Gabe Kouns, Cianna Newman 8th-Maegan Rhoden. Mock Trial — The PWHS Mock Trial team competed at the Regional Competition at Portsmouth Municipal Court on Friday, Feb. 10. To compete at the Regional Competition, the team had to win both its matches at the District Competition in January. At the Regional Competition, the Plaintiff side won its match against Notre Dame, and the Defense side lost to Ironton St. Joe, winners of the District Competition, in an extremely tight match. Only three points separated the teams. The Mock Trial includes: Alec Arnett, Kaitlyn Bell, Eli Cole, Emily Funston, Noah Lovins, JP Igaz, Candice Orris, Abby Riley, Jordan Willis Advisor-Jennifer Moorhead Jay Willis-Legal Advisor. 7th grade girls basketball SOC champs — Abby Adkins, Leah Bolton, Eden Cline, Natalie Mershon, Nataya Richards, Emily Brady, Madison Russell, Keima Bennett, Alexa Leist, Randa Wireman, Coach Mike Adkins, Coach Wes Cline.
- Mrs. Sherman’s TAG gave a presentation to the board, the following students presented: Bullying Prevention Public Service Announcement-Haven Hileman, Caleb Hazelbaker, and Evan Green. Smoking Prevention Public Service Announcement-Brennan Overby and Eli Sayre. Cyberbullying Essay-Dalton Hedrick Cultural Research-Madison Russell, Emily Scaff, and Noah Nichols Creative Writing Podcast-Evan Green.
- The Board took the following action:
- Approved January 30, 2017 minutes and January 2017 financial reports.
- Employed substitute teachers per ESC recommendations.
- Changed March & April board meeting to March 20 and April 18th .
- Accept budget commission millage rate.
- Approved contract with ESC.
- Employed supplementals.
- Approved Amended certificate of estimated resources and appropriations.
- Approved 2017-2018 school calendar.
- Approved supplemental resignation.
- Employed substitute nurse.
- Approved home instruction.
The next regular board meeting will be March 20, 2017, at Portsmouth West High School at 7p.m.
- The South Central ESC will be holding a regular meeting, March 9 at 1 p.m. The meeting will be held at the SCOESC office, 522 Glenwood Avenue.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU