Duncan dominates at Atomic Speedway

July 26, 2014

Sports Release

CHILLICOTHE, Ohio-Cole Duncan took the lead from Jimmy Stinson on the 11th lap and picked up the victory, while picking up the $3,000 victory and earning a spot in the Sprint Car Open Wheel Championships in October. Duncan lapped all but the first eight cars in the process to kick off the Atomic Blast weekend Friday night at Atomic Speedway.

Claiming the win in the AMRA Octane Modified division with a lap 17 pass of Tanner Wilson was Greggie Oliver. Dean Boyd claimed the Racer’s Edge Street Stock main, and Mitchell Fields won the C & M Racing Sport Mod main event.

At the start of the Sprint Car main, pole-sitter Ronnie Blair flipped in turn three, tumbling off the wall three times on the first lap of the A-main. That was the only yellow flag to wave during the event.

Jimmy Nier, a former track champion, took the early lead over new pole-sitter Jimmy Stinson. Nathan Skaggs quickly filed in behind Nier, but the No. 22 of Duncan started to come to life.

Duncan was the fastest car on the track, sometimes nearly a second faster than his competitors, over the mid-point of the race. Duncan steamed past Nier on lap nine, then never looked back.

Many cars were turning laps in the eleven second bracket throughout the feature. Skaggs held off Meyers for third as Duncan blitzed to the checkered well ahead of Nier.

Duncan was also the Hummel Factory Kahne Shocks Hard Charger, advancing from his sixth starting position to first.

Rounding out the top ten were Jimmy Stinson, Danny Smith, Caleb Armstrong, Aaron Higgins, Todd Kane, and Kory Crabtree. Jesse McCreary won the sprint B-main over Brandi Bower and Sam Ashworth.

While running a strong second, Kenny Johnson took a wild flip after hitting the third turn wall in the AMRA Octane Modified main. While still upside down, Johnson — the current points leader — was clipped hard by Rick Hensley spinning Johnson’s car around on its top. Johnson emerged shaken amid what was left of his mount.

Meanwhile, Tanner Wilson was the class of the field at the beginning of the race. However, the lead wouldn’t last.

With Wilson well out in front and Johnson on the hook, Oliver passed Parker, then Derrick Smith and Dickson. Oliver quickly closed the gap on Wilson, who had been in charge since the onset of the race. By lap 16, Oliver knocked at the door, as both cars battled side-by-side. Oliver tried a slide job, but it didn’t work, but a lap later Oliver blitzed past Wilson and got the forward bite off turn two that he needed to secure the lead and the eventual win.

One of the fieriest races of the night was the battle between Philip Bapst, Steve Clemmons, Fireball Pinkerton, and Brandon Oliver. That quartet was three, sometimes four wide in a fight for the top 10. The hard charger was Steve Clemmons in a run from 14th to eighth, along with Bapst who transferred through the third heat in a 15th to ninth place run.

Rounding out the top ten were Cody Parker, Travis Dickson, Derrick Smith, Brian Whiteman, Mark Dickson, Steve Clemmons, Phillip Bapst, and Brandon Oliver.

Eric Arledge won the Modified B main ahead of Tyler Hendrix and Jeff Votaw, who both had good runs.

Evidence of another great track prep, Mineral Wells, WV driver Kenny Johnson regained his track record with a time of 15:030 eclipsing Kenny Wallace’s one week old record of 15:090. Also setting new track records were Jamie Adams in the Street Stocks and Mitchell Fields in the Sport Mods.

Jamie Adams took the lead in the Street Stock main, but on lap seven, the leader broke a tie rod and went pitside, handing the leaders baton to Dean Boyd.