Three indicted for abduction

Ryan Carter ryancarter@civitasmedia.com

December 16, 2013

Three Washington C.H. residents have been indicted by a Fayette County grand jury for the abduction of a 27-year-old woman.

Tiyon Q. Cain, 18, of 908 Sycamore St., was charged with two counts of abduction, and Regina K. Hughes, 33, and Randy D. Nichols, Jr., 44, were each charged with one count of abduction. All three are scheduled to be arraigned today in Fayette County Common Pleas Court.

At around 4 a.m. Dec. 3, Washington C.H. Police Department officers were dispatched to the area of 628 Delaware St. on a possible abduction. They made contact with the father of the reported victim, who told police that she was taken against her will by an unnamed suspect.

The victim’s cousin told officers that he was with the victim at the time inside of a vehicle when Cain pulled her out of the vehicle by her hair, according to reports.

Officers made contact with Hughes, and Michael Stolzenburg, 27, at 628 Delaware St. and asked them if the victim was at the residence. Both told officers that she was not, reports said.

At 9:43 a.m. Dec. 3, the victim’s father contacted the WPD, advising that the victim had made it home. The victim told officers that she and her cousin were leaving 812 Delaware St. in her cousin’s vehicle when Cain requested a ride to 628 Delaware St.

On the way, police said that Cain repeatedly asked the victim to stay with him, but she refused. Once in front of 812 Delaware, Cain and the victim became involved in an argument. Cain allegedly got into the front seat with her, grabbed her by the hair and pulled her from the vehicle against her will.

When she attempted to scream for help, Cain allegedly choked her to the point she passed out. He reportedly took her inside of the residence at 628 Delaware.

Once inside, the victim said she saw Hughes, Jerome Pettiford, 19, a man who was later identified as Nichols, Stolzenburg, and Kelli Herron, 36. The victim said she asked all of them for help but none would assist her, reports said.

Every time she tried to stand up from the chair she was in, Cain would throw her back down, according to police. Every time she attempted to talk, Cain would choke her.

When officers knocked at the front door, Cain allegedly took the victim upstairs and sat her on his lap with his hand over her mouth. Hughes allegedly said that if the victim didn’t keep her mouth shut, Hughes would also choke her.

Hughes and Herron then answered the door and spoke with officers. At one point, Cain came downstairs while Pettiford and Nichols reportedly stood in the room with the victim to keep her from leaving.

After police left, the victim’s father and another person came to the house and knocked on the front door. At that time, the victim attempted to leave the house through the side door, but Cain reportedly pulled her back in. When the person with the victim’s father came to the side door and entered the home, the suspects let the victim go, according to police.

Police charged Cain, Pettiford, Hughes and Nichols with abduction.

Hughes was also charged with obstruction of official business. Stolzenburg and Herron were charged with obstruction of official business as well.

It is unknown if the other suspects allegedly involved will be indicted.