Storm leaves a destructive path

By Wayne Allen

November 1, 2013

Wayne Allen

PDT Staff Writer

According to local officials, the storm of Thursday night left a destructive path, but was not as bad as they could have been.

“If it’s the first of November at 2 a.m., the temperature is 72 degrees and the humidity is at 82 percent, there is a great potential for some storm damage,” said Kim Carver, Director of Scioto county Emergency Management Agency. “We were in constant contact with the National Weather Service all evening as that system approached and moved through. They had concerns all day about the upper winds and the jet stream. Winds above the jet stream were gusting up to 100 miles per hour. Some of that wind got carried to the surface, with the showers that moved in last night (Thursday).”

Carver said counties surrounding Scioto County saw greater damage as a result of the storm.

“In comparison we did fairly well compared to some of the other places,” Carver said.

She said the peak wind gusts during Thursday nights storms reached, 48 miles per hour.

Carver said officials in Lewis and Greenup counties reported similar situations during the storm.

“The sustained winds (during the storm) were very wicked for a while. I’m sure people had a little difficulty getting to sleep with the wind roaring outside their houses,” Carver said. “Anyone that did not secure their Halloween decorations in their yards were out looking for them throughout their neighborhood today (Friday).”

Craig Opperman, Scioto County Engineer, said crews were out most of the night responding to locations in which trees had fallen over roadways.

“Our main issue was trees down, we had at least five locations. We had three supervisors out cutting trees throughout the night, getting things cleared up and cleared off,” Opperman said.

Bill Beaumont, Service Director for the city of Portsmouth, said crews were out throughout the night also cutting trees.

“I know our guys were called out at 11:30 p.m. last night (Thursday). They worked until about 3 a.m. and then another another larger tree fell. There was someone working on trees at 11:30 p.m. and they are still working on them,” Beaumont said.

Beaumont said it was also reported that some trees had fallen in Greenlawn Cemetery among other places in the city.

Opperman and Beaumont said crews will work until the damage has been cleaned up.

Wayne Allen may be reached at 740-353-3101, ext. 228, or tallen@civitasmedia.com. For breaking news, follow Wayne on Twitter @WayneallenPDT.