By Ryan Ottney
October 6, 2013
Ryan Scott Ottney
PDT Staff Writer
The Scioto Foundation will offer Scioto County participating nonprofit organizations (NPOs) a new opportunity to raise money for their endowment funds when it sponsors “Scioto Gives,” a one-day matching gift program on Oct. 24, 2013.
Scioto Gives will establish a new partnership between local NPOs and the Scioto Foundation as it assists the nonprofits with their annual membership drives and helps smaller, grass roots NPOs accept online gifts. To implement the new idea, the Scioto Foundation has set aside $20,000 to use as matching money for 2013.
Contributions from donors will be received on the Scioto Foundation website, www.sciotogives.org from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Oct. 24. Donors can also drop checks off at the Foundation office at 303 Chillicothe St., in Portsmouth, or transfer stocks between the hours of 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on the designated day.
Sixteen non-profit organizations are participating in the campaign, and each week the Daily Times will profile some of them here.
Community Services for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
Community Services for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (CSDHH) has been a part of Portsmouth since 1982 and serves 10 counties in Southeastern Ohio and three counties in Northeastern Kentucky. CSDHH mainly provide sign language interpreting and case management; however, they also provide advocacy and education for the deaf, hard of hearing and their families.
CSDHH is located at 1835 Oakland Ave., in the Pixley Building, and its number is 740-356-7200. If you are in need of scheduling an interpreter, have an after hours emergency situation, or need more information, please feel free to call or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The mission here at CSDHH is to bridge the communication gap; as well as, empower the Deaf and Hard of Hearing people and to promote access to communication, services, and events in the community.
The 1810 House
Originally built in 1810, facing Kinney’s Lane in Portsmouth, the 1810 House still stands today as a museum of Portsmouth’s history.
According to volunteer Dorothy Justus, the front of the house was built by the Kinney family in 1810, and extended the house in 1812 and again in 1823. Then in 1913, a niece of the Kinney family living in the house modernized the building and moved the front entrance from Kinney’s Lane to Waller Street — which was named for Dr. Waller, whose daughter married into the Kinney family. The house remained a residential dwelling until the 1946, when the youngest granddaughter, Isabelle, died. In the 1970s, the house was reopened as a local museum.
Popular exhibits include the stereoscopes, an 17th century chest, a wedding dress worn by Nancy McCoy in 1847, a baby cup owned by Aaron Kinney from 1773, and a cowboy boot owned by a local baseball player. Justus said the house will accept anything up to the year 1946.
“The purpose is to save some history in our area,” Justus said. “It’s the oldest house in Portsmouth. It stands as a museum. We operate on donations and memberships to the historical society. We’re not an expense to anybody.”
For more information about the 1810 House, contact the Scioto County Welcome Center by calling 740-353-1116. The 1810 House is open Sundays, from 2-4 p.m., and by special appointment.
Ryan Scott Ottney can be reached at 740-353-3101, ext. 287, or email@example.com. For breaking news, follow Ryan on Twitter @PDTwriter.