Marshall plead guilty to OVI charge

March 9, 2013

PDT Staff Report

JACKSON COUNTY — Scioto County Common Pleas Judge William T. Marshall pleaded guilty to driving while intoxicated in Jackson County Municipal Court Friday morning.

Circleville Judge Gary Dumm, who was selected by the Ohio Supreme Court to replace Jackson County Municipal Court Judge Mark Musick after Musick recused himself from the case, accepted Marshall’s guilty plea and sentenced Marshall to 90 days in jail with 87 days suspended.

According to the Jackson County Times-Journal, because Marshall was a first-time offender and he took part in a Driver Intervention Program, he will avoid the three days in jail.

Marshall was arrested Jan. 12 at approximately 3 p.m. after the 2005 Toyota Prius he was driving left the roadway on Ohio 140 in Jackson County and overturned. He was the lone occupant.

Troopers from the Jackson Post of the Ohio State Highway Patrol said Marshall was cooperative and submitted to a breath test that indicated Marshall was above the legal limit with a .222 blood alcohol content. The legal limit in Ohio is 0.08.

Because of his BAC, Marshall faced an OVI charge and he also faced a charge of failure to operate a motor vehicle, but that charge was dismissed.

As reported by the Daily Times on Jan. 17, Judge Musick recused himself from Marshall’s case and Marshall was granted a continuance. Judge Dumm, Friday, also issued a $550 fine to Marshall which did not include court costs that amounted to $103.

According to the Jackson County Municipal Court website, Marshall will also expected to meet a non-supervised community service term of 60 months. Dumm also suspended Marshall’s driving licence, but granted him limited driving privileges.

Marshall is best known in this area for the highly successful Scioto County Drug Court, which offers an alternative to incarceration to qualified offenders.

Two days after his arrest, Marshall said, “I’m humiliated and I’ve humiliated my family. This was stupidity on my part, and I am very sorry to those that I’ve hurt. It was very foolish, and I am very grateful that no one was injured.”

Marshall represented himself throughout his legal proceedings.